Questions About Renovating
Renovating can modernize the style of your home, make it more comfortable, improve energy-efficiency and home functionality, increase the value of your home, and help with upkeep and maintenance. Renovating is an investment in your home to ensure longevity, usefulness, and value.
When is it time to renovate?
Perhaps it was that moment when you realized your kitchen colors are no longer the "in" colors for today's trendy kitchens. Or maybe you had an epiphany one day as you stood in line to use your own bathroom. Whatever the reason, the thought has crossed your mind maybe it's time to renovate.
The reasons for renovating vary and can include:
- Adding more space.
- Upgrading cabinets, counters, appliances, and fixtures.
- Creating a floor plan that's customized for your lifestyle.
- Improving energy efficiency with new windows, doors, insulation, and climate control systems.
- Increasing your homes resale value.
What are some renovating ideas?
Before you head too far down the renovating path, think about your wants and needs:
- Decide what changes you want to make.
- Ask yourself what you like and dislike about your house, and create a prioritized list.
- Look at magazines and collect pictures of what you like.
- Think about traffic patterns, furniture placement, colors, lighting, and how you want to use the renovated space now and in the future.
How do I plan a home renovation?
The first step is to make a prioritized list of your needs and wants. The more clearly you can envision the project and describe it on paper, the better prepared you'll be in making your decision.
Figure out how much money you have to spend on the renovation, furnishings, landscaping or any other costs you might incur.
When hiring a renovator, choose a professional, avoid contractor fraud, and make your dream home reality.
How do I pay for a renovation?
One of the most important considerations for your home improvement project is financing. After all, the project will go nowhere if you can't pay for it.
There are several options that can provide the dollars you need. The most common is a home improvement loan, a home equity line of credit, a home equity loan (second mortgage), and a cash-out refinancing of your current mortgage. However, the simplest method of financing is cash.
How do I find a professional renovator?
When you hire a renovator, you are buying a service rather than a product. The quality of service the renovator provides will determine the quality of the finished product and your satisfaction with the result. To ensure your satisfaction, make sure you hire a qualified, professional renovator. Contact the Regina & Region Home Builders’ Association is a list of RenoMark™ renovators.